Thursday, July 14, 2011

Do you think it's a sin for people to intentionally bungle English?

I watched Madea's Happy Family yesterday and she was mangling English. Have you seen any of her plays or all her movies? She always says stuff like, "Hellar" instead of "Hello." "Good afternoot" instead of "Good afternoon" and then while teaching children manners, she also tells them to say it in bad English especially when I have a strong feeling they had perfect English the whole time before they met her. I mean, what if I went into Japan and greeted people with "Konnichiwat" instead of "Konnichiwa?" Wouldn't they be like "gege" or "nani" or whatever the word for what is whether it's ge or ke? She does it every time and in the play there was an educated woman and I don't remember what she said but Madea got her to butcher English and then called it proper English. What does the bible say about this? Does it say anything and how can you tell if someone is intentionally butchering English or a language similar like it, German, or is just mispronouncing a few things but is trying hard regardless? How can you tell the difference? I said b�de instead of b�se because I knew dark in German was b� something but I couldn't remember whether the sound was a zuh or a duh. I was only one letter off and I didn't choose to make the mistake on purpose. I just wanted to talk German again for a limited time.

No comments:

Post a Comment